In todays world
of sensitive and increasingly complex electronics that require ever more
complicated chips to run its functions and features, so consequently there
is also a need to pack even more transistors into those chips into an
already tiny space. So the only solution is to make those individual transistors
increasingly smaller and smaller to be able to fit them in. Unfortunately
as their size shrinks so will their robustness to withstand power supply
over-voltage problems as they turn more fragile. Hence an increasingly
important topic has become the protection of electronic components from
DC Mains borne over-voltage surges and spikes that could cause irreparable
damage to the equipment.
THE CURRENT GLOBAL ELECTRONIC CHIP SHORTAGES, BEST TO PROTECT YOUR EXISTING
EQUIPMENT TO AVOID
BEING CAUGHT IN A SITUATION OF DAMAGE WITH NO SHORT TERM REPLACEMENTS
AVAILABLE FOR A GOOD WHILE !
When you wire-in
this OVP Module between your equipment and its DC Power Source your Sensitive
and Expensive Electronics will be Fully Protected against any momentary
or continuous Over-Voltage or Current Overload conditions, with Fully
Automatic Self-Restoring once the fault is corrected. And additionally
it also effectively protects against a wide range of other DC Mains Induced
Transient Voltage Surges, Spikes and Pulses
PROTECTION THAT CAN BE JUSTIFIED FOR ANY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT
PLUS: One OVP Module Alone Can Easily Protect Multiple Electronic Devices
as it can handle loads of 10Amp Continuous, and Up to 20Amp Max Peak Load
OVP Module Features Overview
- Fully Automatic
24/7 Over-Voltage Protection for any Sensitive Electronic Devices that
Operate from a DC Voltage Supply.
10Amp Continuous Total Load, 20Amp Max Intermittent Load.
- Compatible with All DC 12V Nominal Voltage Power Systems. A 24V System
version will also be available.
- Fast Precise Over-Voltage Protection Action with Fully Automatic Self-Restoring.
No Operator Intervention Required.
- Also protects equipment against extreme Undervoltage Conditions.
- Over-Current Short-Circuit Protection with Fully Automatic Self-Restoring.
- Protects Sensitive Electronics from Induced Transient Surge Voltages
(Nearby Lightning Strikes, Inductive Load Switching, etc.)
- No Internal Fuses to Replace or Breakers To Reset EVER. No Mechanical
Switches or Relays.
- Super Easy Installation, Just Connect And Forget. Requires Very
Little Space and Minimal Power to Operate.
- Active 100% Solid State Design. No Maintenance Required. No Parts To
- Maximum 150mV (0.15V) Total Input-To-Output Voltage Burden at Full 10Amp
Load. Proportionally Less at Lower Currents.
- Prominent Bright LED Tri-Color Status Indicator: GREEN: Voltage OK;
RED: Over-Voltage Cut-Off; ORANGE: Over-Current Trip.
- Ultra Low Power Standby Consumption. Always Stays Cool During Normal
- Immune to RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from any nearby VHF Radios,
SSB, Radar, AIS, Wifi, Sat-Phone, etc.
(And Expensive) Electronic
Devices Easily Damaged by Over-Voltage
- Sensitive Marine
Network Power and Components (NMEA2000, Raymarine SeaTalkNG, SimNET, B&G
H1000/2000/3000, and others).
- Chartplotters designed only for 12V operation (certain models from Raymarine,
Furuno, Garmin, Lowrance, Hummingbird, older equipment, etc.)
- Network Powered Devices (Autopilot Compass/Computer, GPS Antennas, Data
Converters, Transducers and Interface, etc.
- Marine Navigational and Environmental Instruments, Autopilot Control
Heads, Multifunction Instruments.
- Marine Security Monitoring Cameras, Thermal Surveillance Cameras.
- Marine Satellite-TV and Internet/Phone/Data Antennas.
- AIS Transponders, Marine VHF 2-Way Radios, SSB Transceivers, CB Radios.
- DC Powered Wifi Range Booster Antennas and Routers, TV Antenna Boosters.
- Marine/Car Stereo CD/Receiver Equipment and Amplifiers.
- USB Converter Plug Operated Electronics.
- Plus Any Other Electronic Equipment designed for 12V DC nominal operation.
DC Supply Fault Scenarios That Could Potentially Damage Your Sensitive
- Power Supply Regulator
- Alternator Voltage Regulator Failure.
- DC-DC Converter Short or Failure.
- Wind Generator/Solar Controller Short or Failure.
- Automatic Battery Charger Short or Failure.
- AC Voltage Power Surges.
- Accidental Power Wiring Errors During Installation.
- Nearby Lightning Strike Induced Voltage Surges and Spikes.
- Inductive Load Switching Induced Voltage Surges and Spikes.
Module Technical Specifications and Features
- Nominal Operating
Voltage Range: 10-15V. A 24V System Version will be available as well.
- Over-Voltage Trip Voltage: 15.3V (+/-1%). Instantly will disconnect
supply voltage from device to Prevent Any Damage.
- Voltage Switch Off (Protection) Time: Less than 10mS at set voltage
limit. Instantly Protects Sensitive Equipment and Prevents Damage.
- Over-voltage Reset: Fully Automatic Self-Restore. As soon as
the over-voltage condition is removed, full power output is immediately
- Status Indicator: Bright Tri-Color Green/Red/Orange LED Indicator
shows status at a glance.
- Additional Input Voltage Protection: GDT (Gas
Filled Plasma Discharge Arrestor Tube) 75V 2kA Spike and Surge Absorber/Protector.
- Additional Output Voltage Protection: Bi-directional TVS "TransZorb"
600W ESD Transient
- Maximum Recommended Continuous Load Current: Up to 10Amp, No
- Maximum Recommended Peak Load Current: 20Amp Peaks for up to
- Short-Circuit Protection: A Current Peak of >25Amp will Trip
the Automatic Overload Protection.
- Short-Circuit Protection Mode: Self-Restoring PPTC Fuse (Polymeric
Positive Temperature Coefficient device).
- Short-Circuit Restore: Fully Automatic, 5-30 seconds after overload
condition is removed (Time depends on severity of overload condition).
- Internal Protection Switching Device: Latest Generation 100%
Solid State Device. No Mechanical Relay Contacts to Wear or Burn Out.
- Total Voltage Burden: Only 150mV (0.15V) at Full 10Amp Load.
65mV (0.065V) drop at 5Amp. 15mV (0.015V) drop at 1Amp.
- Own Power Consumption: Less than 25mA (0.025Amp) at 13.8V, while
actively monitoring DC Input voltage in the background.
- Input/Output Connection Type: Robust Barrier Terminal Strip,
Steel SEMS Screws with Integral Wire Catch Plate.
Each Screw Contact Terminal is manufactured to handle up
to 30Amp and 300V.
- Connection Acceptance: Up to TWO #12 Stranded or Solid
Wires On EACH terminal, or takes multiple #8 Spade/Ring Crimp Terminals.
Guaranteed to Securely Hold Bare Wire Sizes from #12 to #22.
- Operating Temperature: Continuous duty at full 10Amp load from
0-50° C ambient.
- Housing: High Impact Resistant ABS. IP-54 Ingress Protection
Rated for Splash/Dust (Not suitable for wet locations).
- Dimensions: 3.25"W x 2.10"L x 1.20"D / 83 x 53.5
x 30.5mm (including side mounting flanges).
- Unit Weight: approx. 4.3oz (120gr).